10 February 2011

I learned [week 18]

ISO 800, ss 1/640, f/5.6

This week I learned that bees are really fast, you don't need blue skies to get fun pictures of cherry blossoms, and that I need to dedicate more time to learning new photography skills like back button focusing and water droplet photography so that I can share having learned something concrete (not that the world really needs more pictures of water droplets*--or wine droplets, as I saw a friend do and that was cool--but more because it seems like good practice). So anyway, that's what I'm up to these days. Plugging along, practicing photography, practicing piano, practicing parenting, etc. I don't feel like I need pressure to be too ambitious with my hobbies right now, since last night with the help of my husband I just saw my kitchen counters for the first time in several days. I'm such a dilettante anyway--I really only dabble in any of my hobbies (especially housekeeping. Dabbling only.).
OK off to dabble in piano with a skosh of yoga on the side.
*I just realized that that sounds really snooty. What I was trying to portray is the angst I often feel when attempting to do/write/sing something: Why should I do this when so many more talented others have done it before me?



11 comments:

Unknown said...

gorgeous flower shot!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colors in the flowers- love it!

Unknown said...

Martha,
Great capture of the bee! And for that feeling, remember the finished product is different for everyone and that's what makes it art!

Natalie Pozniak said...

Great Photo! At first I did not notice the Bee. Good work!

Chelsea said...

I love this shot, it's so crisp yet soft! Great job!!

Courtney said...

The colors of these cherry blossoms are fabulous! I'm glad you were able to find lots in bloom. I'm impressed you were patient enough to wait for that bee to settle down for you :O) Beautiful!

Janell said...

gorgeous picture. I love cherry blossoms! and I love the way you write, it always makes me laugh.

Bobi said...

love the flowers the colors are so striking. I don't think you sound snooty at all. In fact I feel like I share some of your feelings. I def. only dabble in house chores. hehe that's about all the passion I can muster up for something as mundane as that. :)

Martha said...

Thanks for the support everyone :-)

Trish ~ ♥ ~ said...

Cherry Blossoms are beautiful. I hope to get to DC to see them in full bloom this year. I hear it is a sight not to be missed.

Martha said...

Yeah Trish, they're quite something in D.C.! Hope you do make it!