18 February 2011

I learned [week 19]

ISO 100, ss 1/800, f/3.5
This week I learned to up my shutter speed when taking pictures of my crazy kid. I know, I know, that's a big "duh" thing! But I'd been subconsciously sticking to the "not below 1/125 thing" that I've heard recommended for photographing people.  But, while toddlers are people strictly speaking, they are very special, very fast types of people. I heard a photographer friend mention how she never goes below 1/250 when shooting kids, so I decided to give it a try whenever the light will allow--and boy does it help! I'd say 75% of my pictures of the GNG turn out blurry when shooting slower than 1/250. I know this isn't the most amazing picture, but I am very happy to have gotten a non-blurry, smiling picture of her in daylight!
I know Courtney said she often goes down to 1/125 with kids, so I guess that's just a testament to her kids being extraordinarily calm and well-behaved :-)
And yes, I had her out in the backyard with no shirt on (her not me). When there is mac & cheese all over it and there are stairs in between me and more shirts, stairs that I will have to climb in a couple of minutes for her naptime anyway...well shirts just aren't always that important. Or maybe I'm just turning into a redneck.

And since a lot more people visit my blog on these days...please check out this post on a wonderful way you can help out a Haitian family! (shameless plug for charity)

Linking up to I Learned at Click It Up a Notch


3 comments:

Tarah Carr said...

Adorable picture Martha!

Courtney said...

This is great, especially since you shot it in full sun! I'm sorry if I confused you with the don't go below 1/125. That is just the lowest I go but often shoot faster as well when the light allows :O) Glad you were able to capture a lot more sharp photos of your precious little one!! We are heading home this week! Looking forward to seeing y'all again soon :O)

Martha said...

Courtney, I think my problem is that I'm often trying to take pictures in low-ish light, and not being willing to up my ISO enough (and also it just doesn't go that high)...because I'm always pushing the lower limits of my shutter speeds.