06 November 2010

Week 9 - Photography


ISO 100, ss 1/320, f/5.6

This week I learned to make sure I actually took a picture on manual before I get all proud of myself. This one's the real deal (from the same day as last week's--I didn't take any pictures this week). A rare moment where EE & Dadu get to hang out together.
I saw some pictures once where clouds just like that were made to look really swirly and with much more variety in lighting...it's impossible to describe. More dramatic, I guess. Any thoughts on how to do that?

My goodness, how rude! I knew I forgot something:

7 comments:

Courtney said...

What a sweet moment! Your exposure looks great! I love how you captured a real moment...these are the moments we want to remember. Great job with the rule of thirds and putting them in the bottom third! I'm also impressed that you positioned yourself at a good angle to prevent that rock in the background from sticking out of one of their heads. I struggle with that :O) You should be proud of yourself!!

Martha said...

Thanks!
Heh...ALL of the other pictures of this had that rock thingy partially in the picture, and it looked awful. Grateful I got one like this.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful picture! Ok. I give up. I must look into this wonderful blog. We spent way too much on our camera for me to sometimes get amazing pictures on auto!

Martha said...

Dude, you take awesome pictures anyway. But when you DO go to it, go back to the first post, talking about ISO, shutter speed, and aperture--that's the one that really got me started. (Warning on the aperture thing though--if you're like me and bought the lens that came with the camera, you might not have much control over it. I really only mess with ISO and shutter speed)

Janell said...

Great picture, the exposure looks real good. Captured a nice sweet moment. I think with the cloud picture you're talking about you need a wide angle lens. like at least a 14 or 16mm. that's what i've been told. Is this the look you were thinking about?http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsnell/4118711614/

Unknown said...

Well...for once I know what I want for Christmas now! :) What kind of camera do you have? Are you planning on getting a better "impossibly-beautiful-baby-portrait" lens in the near future?

Martha said...

Erin - I have a Canon Rebel xsi, and I'm going to just stick with what I have for as long as I can. I have enough expensive hobbies (like getting a babysitter a lot ;-) that I decided that I just want to learn how to use the camera I do have as well as I can. I already asked for a real keyboard for Christmas, and those things are sooo expensive!
Janell - oh great, now I want a wide angle lens ;-) That's actually not exactly what I was talking about, although it is super cool; it's so hard to describe that I guess I'll have to track down the picture/guy and ask him about it.