11 September 2010

Decorations




Two soldiers from the 173rd (Nathan's unit in Italy) were recently awarded serious medals for things they did during the 2007-2008 deployment to eastern & northeastern Afghanistan. Their stories are definitely worth reading.

Sgt 1st Class Jack White got the Distinguished Service Cross. He was in the same company as Nathan.

Staff Sgt Salvatore Giunta will be the first living Medal of Honor recipient since Vietnam.

These guys (and, of course, many others) did literally lay down their lives for others; they just survived. I'm glad they are being recognized.

I regret not seeing the 173rd memorial when we were at the National Infantry Museum last October. But it was cold and rainy and we had a little tiny baby. I've said this before, but if you get a chance, go to that museum and plan to spend a whole day. I wish it were in D.C. so more people could go.
(That's just a random Attack Company picture up there from fall 2006.)
P.S. Don't they look cute in their jump boots and their maroon berets?!

No comments: