Recent thoughts that aren't going to make it into any kind of coherent post, but that I'm sharing with you because apparently I'm an egomaniac:
Lately my failure to learn Italian has glared uglier than usual. I've been kicking myself--how could there be an easier way to learn a language than to be childless, living in the country, and with no spouse to take care of most of the the time? Word on the street is that I won't have a spouse much here either, but as we all know when there's a kid in the picture, that means more work, not less.
Worst AFN commercial ever (it's a radio one, but I think it wins the overall AFN media prize): The guy crooning "No moooore sexual violeeence" to R&B. If that were something to joke about, I would think it was a spoof.
Best AFN commercial right now, maybe the best radio one ever: Jeff Gordon the finger-eating Croatian Jack Hound
What we've been doing recently:
Going to Kumon twice a week and doing homework for that every day (supposedly). I can recognize and pronounce a few hiragana characters now (they put them on the license plates a lot).
Singing with the band at Torii Chapel and being the substitute leader this past week. Nathan rocked out on the drums.
Unpacking--our household goods got here a week ago. CHAOS. Nothing majorly broken but all starting to show the wear & tear or 1, 2, or 3 overseas moves (depending on when we bought it). Definitely expecting all the furniture to arrive apparently intact at our next duty station, only to collapse in a pile of dust when we touch it.
Attending my first Battalion Book Club and wives' coffee. For book club we read The Ugly American, which should be required reading for all Americans before moving...or even showing their faces...overseas. I definitely recommend it to anyone, especially if you're interested in diplomacy or foreign aid. There was a surprising amount of drinking at both events (but th eyblamed the husbands for book club--they don't usually come and most came to this one because they'd all read it). Coffees here are open to all battalion wives and are very laid-back; there were certainly no pearls or sweater sets, though if someone chose to go that path she would not be judged for it. (For those of you unfamiliar, a wives' coffee is just a monthly get-together for--you guessed it!--wives from the battalion.)
Finishing a Baby Signs class with Evangeline. She has not picked up any signs, although at the last class she started enthusiastically waving her hands when we were singing a song with signs. And the other day she waved bye bye and said "bow bow" TWICE upon my prompting so I know it wasn't a fluke!
Going to the beach for the first time. More on that later.
Doing a Bible study with the chapel ladies, Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer. Honestly, I've been surprised by how good it is.
Sponsoring a new family (because now that we've been here for 2 months, clearly we're experts!). They are lots of fun--it's their first time overseas and they're taking it like pros. They have a sweet 2-year-old son who loves Eva.
1 comment:
How do I follow your blog?
Post a Comment